The Topeka Rescue Mission began its work in 1953 as a small room which provided shelter and food for homeless men.
In 1959 a small storefront building was acquired which housed approximately 20-30 homeless men every night.
In 1991, a new building was built to house over 100 homeless men, women and families.
In 2000, an additional new shelter was built to house over 100 additional homeless women and families.
In 2004, a Distribution Center was opened which allowed the Mission to expand their outreach to meeting the needs of the poor in the community.
In 2011, Operation Street Reach was created to reach out to unsheltered homeless individuals not currently receiving Mission services.
In 2013, a sister organization “NET Reach” was created by the Mission to further expand services into areas of the community experiencing homelessness, hunger, poverty and crime.
The “Children’s Palace” which opened in 2017 provides education and care to children aged zero to five.